Tuesday, November 19, 2013

"One Thing" for Tues. Nov. 19

"I want to go faster!" 

These words were said to me around 11:00 at the Minoru ice skating rink. I had the pleasure of skating with Regine, a student who is new to our school this year and has lived in Canada for less than a year. Regine and her family moved from the Congo. She had never skated until today and I don't think she knew exactly what it was we were skating on. She wasn't scared to try it though and when I took her hand away from the hockey boards she was holding onto, she trusted me right away. Maybe the circa 1990's Washington Capitals Peter Bondra jersey I was wearing gave her the impression I was good on skates, but I don't think she has any idea who that is or why I was wearing it. I think she just knows we are people who help. Skating wasn't hard for her because after coming over from the Congo, well, skating is just not that hard compared to that... 



As we zoomed around the rink, singing "Royals" by Lorde (Regine knew this one well) we were both having a blast. I got a few giant smiles and a "I'm having so much fun!" from Regine. I was too. In fact, this hour was probably the most fun I've had at school this year. The best part was that it all just sort of happened. It also made for my easiest decision of what I was going post for my "One Thing" today and authentic happenings like this are actually what I was hoping would "pop up" in my day to day experiences to write about. Don't we have the best "job" in the world?
 
I also had a little help from one of my students, Amani who displays excellent balance on her skates. 

No comments:

Post a Comment