Tuesday, January 21, 2014

"One Thing" for Tues. Jan. 21

Welcome back to "Twitter Turesdays" where (it's been a few weeks since I did this last) I search my twitter feed for something interesting educationally speaking.


Today's topic/post: Can you teach "GRIT"? http://www.coolcatteacher.com/can-you-teach-grit-grit-matters/ . Written by Vicki Davis. She mentions psychologist (and former teacher) Angela Duckworth's Ted Talk video about the key to success.
The answer? Grit.

Here is that Ted Talk:


I recently read the most recent Malcolm Gladwell book, titled "David vs Goliath". In it he mentions a trend that he noticed that successful adults, as students were often those who had family experiences that included overcoming hurdles and obstacles. While you might think that students coming from two parent families where everything always works out for them might be a measurement of future success, it sometimes turns out to be the opposite of that. Students that have had a more difficult upbringing and have faced challenges, and failed along the way, are able to be more resilient, gritty and are able to deal with the real world as it comes to them.

I think that the word resilience is being used a lot these days in the research of students too. I suppose that "Grit" and "Resilience" are pretty similar. I know that on a personal level, I am seeing my children's resilience tested on a regular basis. Some days it's there, others it's a bit harder to find but we seem to be able to push through most days.

Edutopia has put together a whole list of resources on resilience and grit: CLICK HERE . This is a fantastic starting place to go if you (or someone you know) is in need of some material on these topics. I know I'm going to use it both personally and professionally.

Here is Oscar winner Hailee Steinfeld (in a supporting role, 2010) from her role as Mattie Ross in "TRUE GRIT".
  Wasn't she fantastic? 

No comments:

Post a Comment