Wednesday, December 11, 2013

"One Thing" for Wed. Dec. 11

This is Mr. Milks:



He is one of a special breed of teachers. He teaches band. He teaches at our school as well as Manoah Steves. From a band teacher's perspective these days, that's a pretty good gig. I know some "itinerant" band teachers are at 5 different schools (two each day). It can't be easy moving around like that, knowing all the bell schedules and all the staff and students. 

But all of that, as hard as it is, is probably all easier than actually teaching the band class. I have no idea how they do it. 


I was a "Bandie" myself. I played clarinet from grade 5 until grade 9 and then switched to the "so large I didn't need to take it home so often until I got a car baritone saxophone." I still remember my high school band teachers, both passionate about their job. Thinking back to when I started out in a beginner band myself, I cannot fathom how the band teacher does it though. It must be the most trying experience, and yet most band teachers do a great job of it. They must come born with extra patience. If you ask any classroom teacher if they would like that job, they will almost all say, "I don't know how they do it."

Anyway, today I was sitting in on the grade 6 band class getting ready for their winter concert next Monday (and playing an alto sax that Mr. Milks lent me) and the band did a fantastic job. I'd say they are ready (and they even have one more practice to go). Mr. Milks was calmly giving tips to certain players but doing it in a great way that didn't put the spotlight on that individual for having done something wrong. The students listened respectfully and played (most of) the right notes. I know that wouldn't be the case if I was the one holding the baton. My hat is off to band teachers everywhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment