Friday, April 4, 2014

"One Thing" for Friday April 4

Sorry that I haven't posted anything since spring break, but easy to get back to it on such a fantastic Friday afternoon.

With my class this term, we are looking at David Suzuki's "Connecting with Nature" curriculum and have already done several lessons using this wonderful resource. Earlier this week, I had my students plan on doing a "hike to the dyke". They were to bring their backpacks and anything they needed (for rain or shine) or wanted to bring. Then we discussed what they needed on this hike and what they didn't actually need.

Why connect with nature? I feel (like Mr. Suzuki does) because children these days are spending less time outside and appreciating what is out there. Remember that scene in the movie Wall-e where something fantastic is happening outside of the window and the people (on their floating move-chairs) are not looking out the window, but are instead watching it happen on their "tablet"? That's what I'm worried about...

What a great way to spend the afternoon though:




Here's a link (I may have posted this before) to the PDF document that the Suzuki Foundation has created.
http://www.davidsuzuki.org/what-you-can-do/connecting-with-nature-education-guide/#d

No comments:

Post a Comment