Tuesday, October 29, 2013

"One Thing" for Tues. Oct. 29

Today in computer class I tried out using a "wall" with www.padlet.com . It went pretty well (see below). On their computer (using a link to get there) students were able to post comments in a free association kind of way. I asked my grade 1 and 2 computer class what they liked about school. They were asked to type their name and an answer below that. Not all of them could, but most tried. This exercise also taught them to act as a responsibly digital citizen as their posts were seen by others, and while we did get a few: "Minecraft is awesome" type comments, most were on topic even if they weren't spelled correctly. My favourite comment was "I like counting" and then this student gave examples with real numbers…it showed understanding at a deeper level.

This was quick and easy to use, could be exported to a PDF, or emailed out once finished, was a good way to get students to interact and could be manipulated in terms of backgrounds etc.
I will definitely use it again as a replacement for me standing at the whiteboard when we are in the lab or with my class if they had mobile devices in our class as a brainstorming method. Not only do they get to put something up immediately without having to walk to the front of the class, but you can keep (or share) the info afterwards too!

Thanks to Cale Birk for the suggestion and demonstration at the BCPVPA conference on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment